Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Guitar (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   lod (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=573519)

Squirrel 06-09-2010 09:51 AM

I read a little bit but only like when dinner is cooking or just before bed and stuff.

I watch a lot of films, loads of films in fact, but I want something a little more interesting and productive. I'm perfectly happy to watch a film every evening but I wouldn't want to make it my prime activity.

Photography doesn't ppeal to me.

I'm not allowed to box any more.

Bruce E Kinesis 06-09-2010 09:55 AM

[QUOTE=Sad But True;18023025]Back-tracking a bit here but oh well.

Moaner, how would you make these? They sound awesome.[/QUOTE]

FOR TWO PEOPLE:

-make standard savoury pancake batter and do 4 pancakes

-make a normal tomato sauce with small chopped peppers, courgette, onion, whatever you like; the amount you'll make with one tin of tomatoes will be far more than you need so stick it in the fridge for lunch or something. Get some seasoning up in that bitch

-wilt an entire bag of spinach in a wok; you'll need a wok because an entire bag of spinach is an awful lot before you cook it

-take it off the heat

-add half a tub of ricotta (£1 from tescos) and

-add nutmeg. Freshly ground is stronger so if you're using ready ground you might need more than you'd think

-stir them together until all the spinach is covered

now assembly:

-cover the bottom of a standard ceramic roasting dish thing in your tomato sauce (this is to add another flavour and stop the bottom of the pancakes from drying out)

-put a quarter of the spinach mixture across the middle of a pancake, fold in the sides and put in the dish x 4

-grate a load of cheese on top

-15-20 minutes in a hot oven

Sad But True 06-09-2010 10:38 AM

Oh man I need to make that. Cheers for that.

AG 06-09-2010 11:53 AM

[QUOTE=Squirrel;18023020]I dunno what i'm gonna do with myself though, I don't enjoy anything or have any hobbies. I'm permanently bored and I think i'd go mad in my own place ..[/QUOTE]

Once you get your own place I bet you'll be interested in improving it...DIY/Gardening etc...

I wasn't into gardening/growing veg at all untill I got a garden of my own.

Anyways.

[QUOTE=Squirrel;18022910]He works part-time on a fish/meat counter or something i think[/QUOTE]

I'm a Chef at Yo! Sushi, in the Metrocentre.

I make this stuff:

[IMG]http://luellastomfoolery.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/yo-sushi-conveyor-belt-of-food.jpg[/IMG]

Left Face Down 06-09-2010 12:00 PM

// Stupid Question

Can I get a Mesa/Boogie Triaxis, no power amp, and just run a head-set out of the record out? If I'm not pushing a cab is a power-amp even needed?

I'm getting rather concerned with my choice of the M/B Express series. The heads, primarily, are getting really bad reliability reviews. The amps are intermittently cutting out and even getting to the extend where there is power, lights, but no sound. I just don't want to deal with the hassle. Seeing Guitar Center doesn't even stock the heads I'll have to wait two months to get it if I ordered it. In that time I can feasibly save up enough for a Triaxis. If it can't run alone, then I'm seriously thinking about just waiting until Christmas and getting a Triaxis + Carvin TS100 + Avatar 1x12. Unless my XXX sells, then it could be more like September.

El-Ahrairah 06-09-2010 01:22 PM

[QUOTE=Left Face Down;18023231]// Stupid Question

Can I get a Mesa/Boogie Triaxis, no power amp, and just run a head-set out of the record out? If I'm not pushing a cab is a power-amp even needed?

I'm getting rather concerned with my choice of the M/B Express series. The heads, primarily, are getting really bad reliability reviews. The amps are intermittently cutting out and even getting to the extend where there is power, lights, but no sound. I just don't want to deal with the hassle. Seeing Guitar Center doesn't even stock the heads I'll have to wait two months to get it if I ordered it. In that time I can feasibly save up enough for a Triaxis. If it can't run alone, then I'm seriously thinking about just waiting until Christmas and getting a Triaxis + Carvin TS100 + Avatar 1x12. Unless my XXX sells, then it could be more like September.[/QUOTE]

Dude, you're an engineer, check whether it has a headphone out :lol:
If you're not pushing a cab you don't need a power amp, and I'm pretty sure such a sophisticated preamp has got a headphones out.

However, why not get a Tonelab if you're lookin primarily into headphone playing? Cheaper + more versatile. :-)

Left Face Down 06-09-2010 01:48 PM

It doesn't have a headphone out, which was why I was asking if recording out could double. I wasn't sure... and I could have sworn I've seen something which had one that could do both.

I'm really looking for a set up which is quiet when I need it, easy to carry around (i.e. head + cab or Rack + cab), easily modified (or able to just turn up) if I ever needed a good loud amp, easy to record with (I plan on getting an SM57 one of these days but it is down the list), and doesn't sound like crap. Headphones are a plus but by no means needed if I can get something which is low wattage tube.

The whole M/B thing is because the Express is honestly the amp I go to in GC now, it sounds wonderful, and I've always wanted a Mesa/Boogie. Specifically I've loved sounds artists have gotten out of the Triaxis and the Mark IV's sound. Though it has previously (and still is kind of) out of my price range. I'm in a contract to hire position right now, doing well, and if I get hired in August I'll be moving into an apartment.

My Peavey XXX is just getting too bothersome to move around (can't do it alone) and is going to get me evicted one of these days. :lol:

A Hexagon 06-09-2010 01:59 PM

This guy wants to be my friend on youtube.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/user/gr8shred[/url]

I turned him down because he's a wanker. Also his technique sucks and idk that might be contagious.

Kuffuffled 06-09-2010 03:17 PM

aw now he's </3

Squirrel did you KO somebody or something, what happened to boxing?

El-Ahrairah 06-09-2010 03:49 PM

Hey LFD, connecting head phones to the Line Out might be a not-so-good idea.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_level

Left Face Down 06-09-2010 03:58 PM

Yeah, well I have my worries based off of that. The user manual says it is recording level, i.e. you don't need a pre-amp to boost the signal like you would normally and I have to do with the Peavey XXX.

I obviously don't want to damage the unit. Though I know better than to just stick things in random holes. I'll probably have to buy something else, but I just wanted to see if any one knew.

fingers mccoy 06-09-2010 04:09 PM

just reread my last marked essay (on debussy) and i cant understand a ****ing word i'm saying.

musical analysis can get impossibly complicated, even when you're describing the simplest-sounding processes.

Left Face Down 06-09-2010 10:05 PM

tl;dr

I hate it when I start spending large amounts of money. I get in that "well it is only $200 more" mode. Looking at Mesa/Boogie heads and Fryette heads. Which granted are the two companies that if I had no limit in price I would go to, but inevitably right now I'm looking at amps I'll talk myself out of buying.

AG 06-10-2010 12:50 AM

If you stick headphones into the preamp it's gonna sound really weak. You need a cab emulator.

Blue_Moon 06-10-2010 06:34 AM

IM in Hue in in Vietnam still... done the top gear bike tour some of the way along the coast, it was unbeleivable

anyways im still alive and aok since i know yer concerned... amazing place, ordered a hooker by mistake at karaoke last night then got lost and some guy threatened me with a rock

great place

[img]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs322.snc3/28729_397639103542_629848542_4229543_4502505_n.jpg[/img]

my finger in the corner kinda ruined it but its all good

Bruce E Kinesis 06-10-2010 06:44 AM

I only know vietnamese cities from "Battlefield: Vietnam"

Left Face Down 06-10-2010 08:08 AM

BM: Vietnam at least looks pretty, despite it's flaws. Love to visit a place like that minus the crazy people.

[QUOTE=AG;18024770]If you stick headphones into the preamp it's gonna sound really weak. You need a cab emulator.[/QUOTE]

Seems to be debated in the reviews if the Triaxis has this built in or not. Though honestly it is hard to find a review addressing the subject. :lol: Manual doesn't really say yes or no; so I assume not.

[quote=Triaxis manual]
These jacks provide direct stereo interfacing to recording or live mixing console. They faithfully reproduce both lead and rhythm sounds similar to those you are accustomed to hearing from your power amp and speakers. The output level is determined by the front panel programmable MASTER control setting...[/quote]

Dare I ask one of the guys at Guitar Center. They usually answer my questions incorrectly. Actually this is one of those instances where going to my local stuck up/know-it all father/son shop might come in handy. Though I believe the old man is more of a Marshall kind of guy.

edit:
Just trying to figure out costs here. Honestly the Fryette (why did VHT change their name?) Pitbull 50W is tempting. $2k price tag, but the clips I keep pulling up are 50/50 with my style or not. People tend to go with the really... new-age metal (?) sound which isn't really what I want. One reason why I kind of crossed the Engl e530 pre-amp off my list. That is all I hear, that type of sound.

Actually was wondering what a M/B Mark IV head actually costs now a days. Though no online-stores have the Mark series heads. If they are $1500-2000 I might just go that way. I don't know, when I start talking Triaxis and Mark IV that is talking about starting my dream rig.

Squirrel 06-10-2010 08:40 AM

[QUOTE=viciouscycle;18023765]aw now he's </3

Squirrel did you KO somebody or something, what happened to boxing?[/QUOTE]

You mean outside of boxing? in that case no. In competition I stopped 24 of my 27 opponents.

I had to stop cause of an injury.

purple_hazer 06-10-2010 11:22 AM

[QUOTE=mnemonic;18022790]hey lod look what i found

[IMG]http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/6323/zzzkz.jpg[/IMG]

wheres purple_hazer[/QUOTE]

fu[COLOR="Black"]c[/COLOR]k you max! haha

damn thats old

Bruce E Kinesis 06-10-2010 11:34 AM

LFD the people in vietnam aren't [I]crazy [/I]they're [I]communist[/I]

slight difference

purple_hazer 06-10-2010 11:36 AM

very slight

Squirrel 06-10-2010 11:39 AM

[QUOTE=Bruce E Kinesis;18025142]LFD the people in vietnam aren't [I]crazy [/I]they're [I]communist[/I]

slight difference[/QUOTE]

Yeah remember he's a yank and they're utterly terrified of communism.

Bruce E Kinesis 06-10-2010 12:08 PM

Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow?

NO! says the man in washington,

It belongs to the state!

Left Face Down 06-10-2010 12:44 PM

[QUOTE=Bruce E Kinesis;18025142]LFD the people in vietnam aren't [I]crazy [/I]they're [I]communist[/I]

slight difference[/QUOTE]

Is it common to threaten people with rocks in communism? I didn't mean they're crazy because they are communists. Was just talking about crazy people, not political stuff. :lol:

The_Mop 06-10-2010 12:45 PM

Aight gents. Bought a second hand HTC hero off a mate of mine. 120 quid, unlocked, even threw in an 8 gig SD card.

Coming to you live from said phone.

/just noticed that 'klingon' is in the default dictionary, where as 'gent' is not. Hmmm.

purple_hazer 06-10-2010 12:52 PM

thats how you know its good technology

Ando! 06-10-2010 02:45 PM

**** you

Left Face Down 06-10-2010 10:00 PM

//If any one cares

Went to GC today and played a bunch of amps. Played Marshall JVM215C, Bogner Alchemist, and a hand full of Mesa/Boogie (Express 2:25, Express 2:50, Dyna, Dual recto, and Lone Star). I came to a decision, in August if I get hired on [currently contract to hire] I'm ordering a Mesa/Boogie Mark V.

Then probably never buying another amp. Been a long time lover of the Mark series and I can't see not being able to get the tones I want out of the Mark V and more. Though I am going to do my best to track one down in a store. As GC has to order them directly from Mesa/Boogie, which is a 3-4 month wait.

mnemonic 06-10-2010 10:20 PM

[QUOTE=Left Face Down;18026025]
Then probably never buying another amp.[/QUOTE]

yeah right

JoshIsNumber3 06-10-2010 11:20 PM

i'd rather him just not post and go away