Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Guitar (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   lod (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=573519)

jaklyons 06-11-2010 04:17 AM

[QUOTE=Left Face Down;18026025]I'm ordering a Mesa/Boogie Mark V.[/QUOTE]

I played a Mark V combo a few months ago and, to be honest, I was distinctly underwhelmed with the sound, especially as it cost about £2500. I wasn't able to turn it up all that much though, that could be why. The controls/features are pretty cool though.

Bruce E Kinesis 06-11-2010 04:51 AM

Who ever gets chance to crank a half stack though?

If it doesn't sound good at low volumes and it's 100W, then it doesn't sound good full stop.

My amp's only 18-20W and I never get chance to turn it above 1 on the dial; which is why I picked an amp I liked the sound of when the dial's on 1...

I think everyone has this idea that phase inverter (~'power amp') distortion is where it's at but I prefer my pedal dirts.

El-Ahrairah 06-11-2010 05:31 AM

[QUOTE=Bruce E Kinesis;18026244]Who ever gets chance to crank a half stack though?

If it doesn't sound good at low volumes and it's 100W, then it doesn't sound good full stop.

My amp's only 18-20W and I never get chance to turn it above 1 on the dial; which is why I picked an amp I liked the sound of when the dial's on 1...

I think everyone has this idea that phase inverter (~'power amp') distortion is where it's at but I prefer my pedal dirts.[/QUOTE]

I usually play using my Tonelab & headphones to not disturb other people in the house.

However, from time to time it is awesome to push my 30W poweramp real hard (like, half way open. no drummer in the world could compete with it fully open, tee hee:naughty:.) . I don't know if it's the "louder sounds better" or the "whoomp" in the guts-effect that makes it so enjoyable, but I feel it's far better than headphone playing.

Bruce E Kinesis 06-11-2010 06:11 AM

Whooomp is a very big factor i think. Maybe in 10 years they'll be able to model valves perfectly, but they won't be able to model the whoomp.

El-Ahrairah 06-11-2010 06:22 AM

I agree. In fact, modelers are already pretty good and most people could not distinguish between a mic'd and a modeled amp today. (listening to iit over a PA or headphones, that is)

I also like feeling the resonance of an acoustic guitar against my chest. It's almost as good as a woman's embrace and without it I would have stopped playing YEARS ago :lol:.

AG 06-11-2010 06:23 AM

I have a Valve Laney 10w that sounds excellent at low volumes, but I also have a Marshall 100watt valve that is switched down to 50w that sounds AMAZING cranked, which every now and again I get to do.

Squirrel 06-11-2010 06:38 AM

Sup AG.

jaklyons 06-11-2010 06:39 AM

[QUOTE=Bruce E Kinesis;18026244]If it doesn't sound good at low volumes and it's 100W, then it doesn't sound good full stop.[/QUOTE]

True. You can also turn the Mark V down from 90 watts to either 45 or (I think) 15, and it was comparatively disappointing on all 3 settings.

Left Face Down 06-11-2010 06:59 AM

[QUOTE=Bruce E Kinesis;18026244]
If it doesn't sound good at low volumes and it's 100W, then it doesn't sound good full stop.[/QUOTE]

TBH my 120W Peavey XXX doesn't really start sounding good until the master is at about 11 O'clock. The thing I do with it, and I can do with the Mark V as well, is turn the volume on the channel down so you can turn the master volume for the amp up. Which lets you get better saturation of the tubes at lower volumes.

Also, while I will do my best to track down one in store and play it... I keep hearing great sounds out of the Mark V in every review I watch/listen to.

The Transporter 06-11-2010 07:53 AM

[quote=Left Face Down;18026025]//If any one cares

Went to GC today and played a bunch of amps. Played Marshall JVM215C, [B]Bogner Alchemist[/B], and a hand full of Mesa/Boogie (Express 2:25, Express 2:50, Dyna, Dual recto, and Lone Star). I came to a decision, in August if I get hired on [currently contract to hire] I'm ordering a Mesa/Boogie Mark V.

Then probably never buying another amp. Been a long time lover of the Mark series and I can't see not being able to get the tones I want out of the Mark V and more. Though I am going to do my best to track one down in a store. As GC has to order them directly from Mesa/Boogie, which is a 3-4 month wait.[/quote]
LMFAO why did you play an Alchemist?

AG 06-11-2010 07:57 AM

[QUOTE=Squirrel;18026373]Sup AG.[/QUOTE]

It's all cool baby. Did some more gardening today and imma play some Resi4 on the Wii before I go to work for the evening.

Final cleaning/carpet washing of the old house tomorrow before we hand the keys back to landladybitch on Sunday.

Left Face Down 06-11-2010 07:58 AM

[QUOTE=The Transporter;18026419]LMFAO why did you play an Alchemist?[/QUOTE]

It was there... and I had heard good things about it. Honestly, it was a total let down. The M/B Express series have issues, the two 50W 2x12 in GC were having the cutting in and out issues I keep reading about in reviews. The Dyna wasn't bad, but not really my style. Same goes for the Dual Recto and Lone Star. If I was looking for the Marshall sound I would buy the JVM205H (head version of the JVM215C I tried). Really good amp, has low/medium/high gain for both it's channels. On the overdrive channel you can go from a nice light classic rock distortion to more gain than I need. Honestly the overdrive on high gain was a little too much gain for me. Biggest qualm with that amp is you get buzz on the overdrive channel, and it gets worse the higher the gain setting (obviously).

At the end of the day I just like the Mesa/Boogie sound better than Marshall sound.

Bruce E Kinesis 06-11-2010 08:43 AM

[QUOTE=Left Face Down;18026385]The thing I do with it, and I can do with the Mark V as well, is turn the volume on the channel down so you can turn the master volume for the amp up. Which lets you get better saturation of the tubes at lower volumes.
[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying it doesn't sound better, but this doesn't saturate the valves any more than having a high pre-amp volume and a low master volume.

It will of course sound different but it's not because of saturation.

Squirrel 06-11-2010 08:52 AM

[QUOTE=AG;18026422]It's all cool baby. Did some more gardening today and imma play some Resi4 on the Wii before I go to work for the evening.

Final cleaning/carpet washing of the old house tomorrow before we hand the keys back to landladybitch on Sunday.[/QUOTE]

Sweet.

I think you're right about my lack of hobbies/moving into my own place; my gf and her mum are moving/have moved house and I found it really refreshing and nice to just sit down with a cuppa and watch some TV afterward (i was helping), which is something i never do.

I figure i'll invest in a console and play that a bit, gym now and then, go out a bit etc, along with work and cooking etc i guess that'll be most of my time taken up.

Kuffuffled 06-11-2010 02:04 PM

I thought JVM's were terrible

Convectuoso 06-11-2010 02:38 PM

[quote=Bruce E Kinesis;18026444]I'm not saying it doesn't sound better, but this doesn't saturate the valves any more than having a high pre-amp volume and a low master volume.

It will of course sound different but it's not because of saturation.[/quote]
Pretty sure it saturates the power tubes more than the preamp tubes...at least by my small understanding of tube amps.

And generally power amp valve saturation is better than preamp valve saturation...

mnemonic 06-11-2010 11:07 PM

[QUOTE=viciouscycle;18026781]I thought JVM's were terrible[/QUOTE]

the one i tried was actually pretty nice. tight and clear for a marshall.

still not worth even half the price they want though imo

Bruce E Kinesis 06-12-2010 01:19 AM

[QUOTE=Joelbassman;18026844][B]Pretty sure it saturates the power tubes more than the preamp tubes...[/B]at least by my small understanding of tube amps.

And generally power amp valve saturation is better than preamp valve saturation...[/QUOTE]

I'm telling you- it doesn't work like that.

As for pre/poweramp distortion; all preference, although most people like the sound of a cranked valve amp, others (esp. heavy effects users like me) try to avoid it as it makes reverbs and delay trails sound like a mess

AG 06-12-2010 02:18 AM

Hiring a Rug Doctor today, I'm so old.

:(

Squirrel 06-12-2010 03:19 AM

... rug ... doctor?

Bruce E Kinesis 06-12-2010 04:47 AM

Like a tree surgeon, but for rugs

Modern Iconoclast 06-12-2010 06:22 AM

[QUOTE=AG;18027513]Hiring a Rug Doctor today, I'm so old.

:([/QUOTE]

The pharmacy where I work rents those out, I'll give you a discount.

AG 06-12-2010 11:39 AM

[IMG]http://www.princerupertrotaryclub.ca/rotaryauction/images/items/rugdoctor.jpg[/IMG]

Our old landlord is an utter bitch, so we decided to spend £20 to keep her sweet and clean the carpets.

We found a frog in our garden today! Whilst weeding out the vegetable bed. (also planted a tomato plant) Gave it to the kids next door to play with...not sure if their parents were so happy about that though...

Kuffuffled 06-12-2010 01:39 PM

You probably caused it death AG

Modern Iconoclast 06-12-2010 01:45 PM

Yesterday I saw a video of a chimp mouth-raping a frog. What has been seen cannot be unseen.

Kuffuffled 06-12-2010 02:13 PM

link

Convectuoso 06-12-2010 02:17 PM

[quote=Squirrel;18027560]... rug ... doctor?[/quote]
Steaming mad at dirt!

AG 06-12-2010 03:00 PM

link

mnemonic 06-12-2010 03:25 PM

wink

Modern Iconoclast 06-12-2010 03:45 PM

The original video was removed from youtube but here's another one, apparently there's a frog-raping epidemic among chimps.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwegzhXAqaQ[/url]

In b4 b&