Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bass Guitar (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   OFFICIAL Theory Thread (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=432696)

HaVIC5 01-18-2006 05:26 PM

[QUOTE=FenderJazz]That doesnt make any sense. Those are the chords you play, but you dont play scales over anything. You dont really play scales at all, they are supposed to be a way of organazing the fretboard so that it can be easily used without having to know every note of every key and where it is. Music is constructed and played with chords, not scales.[/QUOTE]
A chord usually consists of three, four or maybe five notes. The purpose of a chord is to provide harmony and imply scalar melody for a given situation. I'm not quite sure where you got that notion from, because otherwise, how would you explain scalar artforms like modal jazz?

FenderJazz 01-18-2006 07:29 PM

[QUOTE=HaVIC5]A chord usually consists of three, four or maybe five notes. The purpose of a chord is to provide harmony and imply scalar melody for a given situation. I'm not quite sure where you got that notion from, because otherwise, how would you explain scalar artforms like modal jazz?[/QUOTE]

I dont want to argue with you, or anything like that because you clearly know more than me (give me a couple more years) but MOST music atleast is based on chords, which is why chord symbols are usually placed over sheet music measures. Im not talking about actual chords and the playing of all of the chord's notes simmultaneously, but instead Im talking about the chord as a musical unit... or whatnot.

moghes69 01-18-2006 07:50 PM

[QUOTE=FenderJazz]I dont want to argue with you, or anything like that because you clearly know more than me (give me a couple more years) but MOST music atleast is based on chords, which is why chord symbols are usually placed over sheet music measures. Im not talking about actual chords and the playing of all of the chord's notes simmultaneously, but instead Im talking about the chord as a musical unit... or whatnot.[/QUOTE]
and those chords are based around scales (modes) example a dominant seven chord is based around the mixolydian mode.

FenderJazz 01-18-2006 07:59 PM

[QUOTE=moghes69]and those chords are based around scales (modes) example a dominant seven chord is based around the mixolydian mode.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I know. Chords are derived from scale degrees, but the important things here are chords, not scales. You dont play scales, you use them to know what chords are in the key that your playing in. That was the point.

Oh, and there are dominant seven chords in every mode..

HaVIC5 01-18-2006 08:02 PM

[QUOTE=FenderJazz]I dont want to argue with you, or anything like that because you clearly know more than me (give me a couple more years) but MOST music atleast is based on chords, which is why chord symbols are usually placed over sheet music measures. Im not talking about actual chords and the playing of all of the chord's notes simmultaneously, but instead Im talking about the chord as a musical unit... or whatnot.[/QUOTE]
I'm not saying that most music is based upon chords, but you're confusing the fuction of a chord to the function of a scale. Chords provide harmony and imply melody in the form of scales. Each has their own purpose.

FenderJazz 01-18-2006 08:08 PM

[QUOTE=HaVIC5]I'm not saying that most music is based upon chords, but you're confusing the fuction of a chord to the function of a scale. Chords provide harmony and imply melody in the form of scales. Each has their own purpose.[/QUOTE]

Did you mean to say "Im not saying that most music isn't based upon chords?" If so, then I think I get what your saying, and I agree. I have all these concepts down, I just have trouble trying to get across what Im trying to say in this situation, and also in understanding what your trying to say.

xbmunky 01-18-2006 08:14 PM

I don't know

Would tunings be a type of theory? Or would theory be on the topic of chord progressions and such?

moghes69 01-18-2006 08:17 PM

[QUOTE=xbmunky]Would tunings be a type of theory? Or would theory be on the topic of chord progressions and such?[/QUOTE]
tunings would just be for the ease of reaching certain notes in a pattern you play, or to reach some notes that you wouldn't otherwise be able to. the theory stays the same if you are in drop d or in normal tuning.

basgitarist 01-19-2006 04:35 AM

The theory stays exactly the same G major is G major. The appliance however changes.
Take for example this G major scale. In normal tuning it would be played like this;

[FONT="Courier New"]G|-----------------|
D|-----------2-4-5-|
A|-----2-3-5-------|
E|-3-5-------------|[/FONT]

If you would lower your 4th-String by a whole step, you would play the same scale like this. Same notes, different patterns.

[FONT="Courier New"]G|-----------------|
D|-----------2-4-5-|
A|-----2-3-5-------|
D|-5-7-------------|[/FONT]

:thumb:

Raz-The-Bass 01-20-2006 11:03 AM

hi

can some please tell me how u play and scales eg
|--2--|-----|--3--|--4--| -1st string
|--6--|-----|--1--|-----|
|--3--|--4--|--5--|-----|
|--1--|-----|-----|--2--| -4th string
do u play 2 6 3 1 4 5 1 3 or what
and when using them to create do u follow the pattern and change the notes or use the notes and the pattern doesnt matter? im a noob btw if u didnt guess

chameleon13 01-20-2006 02:18 PM

[QUOTE=Raz-The-Bass]can some please tell me how u play and scales eg
|--2--|-----|--3--|--4--| -1st string
|--6--|-----|--1--|-----|
|--3--|--4--|--5--|-----|
|--1--|-----|-----|--2--| -4th string
do u play 2 6 3 1 4 5 1 3 or what
and when using them to create do u follow the pattern and change the notes or use the notes and the pattern doesnt matter? im a noob btw if u didnt guess[/QUOTE]

hi, I love noobs like myself. If I understand what you are saying, you want to keep the notes the same and change the order in which you play them. I don't get what your tabs are supposed to mean, though. I like the G Major tabs from a couple posts up:

G|-----------------|
D|-----------2-4-5-|
A|-----2-3-5-------|
E|-3-5-------------|

This is one octave (the basic octave for a bassist) of the G Major scale. you can play any combination of those notes and still be in the scale, however chords and stuff (one of my noobish areas) allow you to play other stuff and still sound good, and to get different sounds.

hope that made sense, helped, and was right.

Raz-The-Bass 01-20-2006 02:51 PM

thanks and so the shapes dont matter right u just play those notes in any order ?

Raz-The-Bass 01-20-2006 02:55 PM

im not sure i have the right scales could some 1 post the blues scale for me plaese

moghes69 01-20-2006 03:09 PM

G blues minor scale

l--------------------l
l------------ --3-5--l
l------3-4-5---------l
l--3-6---------------l

Raz-The-Bass 01-20-2006 03:56 PM

thanks man anyone got a blues in D

moghes69 01-20-2006 04:04 PM

just shift that pattern up a string and start on the fifth fret

Raz-The-Bass 01-20-2006 04:07 PM

i c so u dont have to change the notes just move up or down the fretboard thanks:)

don t spose i can b cheaky and ask for the pentatonic and major scales
please

moghes69 01-20-2006 05:49 PM

pentatonic minor is the same as the blues minor just without the 4th note in ghe case of G you would omit the 4th fret on the A string

moghes69 01-20-2006 05:51 PM

c major

l------------2-4-5-l
l-----2-3-5--------l
l-3-5--------------l
l------------------l

Omega Red 01-20-2006 09:42 PM

[QUOTE=moghes69]pentatonic minor is the same as the blues minor just without the 4th note in ghe case of G you would omit the 4th fret on the A string[/QUOTE]
if you could do me a favor and speak in the alphabet rather than frets. i'm having a hard time following what you're talking about:thumb:

Raz-The-Bass 01-21-2006 09:10 AM

thanks and what does omit mean move up a string?

mfb 01-21-2006 09:11 AM

omit means delete.

Raz-The-Bass 01-21-2006 09:11 AM

oh yeh and when playing these scales do u have to keep the notes to the same strings when making up stuff please

basgitarist 01-21-2006 09:24 AM

Raz-The-Bass, I suggest you head over to [url]http://www.cyberfretbass.com[/url] and read the section about scales. When I read your posts I get the idea you know nothing about them.

Raz-The-Bass 01-21-2006 12:10 PM

true and not i got almy info from there but like the tab i posted earliar they are a little vaguebut
thanks for the omit meaning

Raz-The-Bass 01-21-2006 12:25 PM

for example
the is no gdae at the side and some tabs that iv got are upside down and it says nothin about what order u play them in would u start on the A on the first string then goto the E on the second string then B on the third string or do u just use one note A E or B then move to the C?
|--A--|-----|--B--|--C--| -1st string
|--E--|-----|--F#-|--G--|
|--B--|--C--|-----|--D--|
|-----|--G--|-----|--A--| -4th string

some 1 even said to me today that they are chords

moghes69 01-21-2006 01:37 PM

[QUOTE=quatre07]if you could do me a favor and speak in the alphabet rather than frets. i'm having a hard time following what you're talking about:thumb:[/QUOTE]
for some reason i have a feeling that post was just made to get u back to 9,999. but i only did it in tab because i wasn't sure if he was at the level of reading music...

Omega Red 01-22-2006 05:13 PM

[QUOTE=moghes69]for some reason i have a feeling that post was just made to get u back to 9,999. but i only did it in tab because i wasn't sure if he was at the level of reading music...[/QUOTE]
you dont have to read music to know what an A is

HaVIC5 01-22-2006 05:17 PM

(it was a Db :thumb:)

Ahh...I love being a dick about theory.

moghes69 01-22-2006 05:54 PM

[QUOTE=quatre07]you dont have to read music to know what an A is[/QUOTE]
i meant the knowledge of letter placement on the fretboard...i didn't recall him asking for letter names so i figured tab's would suffice