Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Literature & Lyrics (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Community Thread / Tips and Questions (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295515)

A_Perfect_Sonnet 11-02-2005 09:02 PM

I like Trivium. It's like they took what Avenged Sevenfold was trying and made it not suck.

Dancin' Man 11-02-2005 09:17 PM

I was a regular. Then I joined a band that practices a lot.

A_Perfect_Sonnet 11-02-2005 09:23 PM

I wish I could join a band that played the type of music I want to write/sing for... instead I have to sing like the guy from Opeth for some tech metal band, if I even want to do it.

TojesDolan 11-02-2005 09:30 PM

He. Well. What can I say. I'm mostly a guitarist and I love it, but due to a lack of a bassist in the band of a guy I know, I'll be playing in until December, when the other bassist comes back from Canada and I'll become rhythm guitarist by that time.

Anyhow, I'm into a lot of things, but this guy loves Prog rock, so it'll be interesting. THe lead guitarist is into hentai so I may just take his post in the band rather quickly.

Dancin' Man 11-02-2005 09:42 PM

Hahaha... hentai.

Yeah, my band is seriously considering asking the other guitarist to leave. He's really good technically, but all he plays are chuggas and then some cool little fills. He can write some decent metalcore, but the stuff infects everything. We make rules for our songs now, like no breakdowns and no chuggas and your part may not have immediate intervals over one octave to prevent standard metalcore riffage. Plus, he's boring live.

TojesDolan 11-02-2005 10:10 PM

I wish I had The ability to play and go crazy on stage.

I can do one thing. but the other goes to hell. Like The mars volta ir At the drive-in. They sacrifice playing well for having fun on stage.

But I try, hell I try. Especially easier songs. I need to start with theory stuff, though. Some real deal in my music could be of work.

Dancin' Man 11-02-2005 10:24 PM

My advice for playing a cool live show is practice it at band practice. I've always tried stupid stuff, like playing with my hand from the wrong side of the fretboard, launching myself off of walls and furniture and even using found objects to play my parts (the mic the singer is using can be pretty awesome, especially if he is using it at the same time). Interacting with the band is key.

Listen to The End - [COLOR=Black]Transfer Trachea Reverberations From Point: False Omniscient

It is a super good album that any guitar player or bassist should hear. I reviewed it on Sputnik for those interested.
[/COLOR]

A_Perfect_Sonnet 11-02-2005 10:31 PM

Well, the thing is, they don't want a mix of styles. They want to rip off Meshuggah and Opeth.

xKONRADx 11-02-2005 10:51 PM

[QUOTE=I Am Vikingcore]Write a short story about your user title... a poem maybe? Make a poem telling the story of 'The Chosener' it's pure gold...[/QUOTE]
HAHA its all a play off my avatar and user title. metaliq is a credit whore!

xKONRADx 11-02-2005 10:56 PM

[QUOTE=A_Perfect_Sonnet]Well, the thing is, they don't want a mix of styles. They want to rip off Meshuggah and Opeth.[/QUOTE]
stop playing with ****tards. that might solve your problem.

A_Perfect_Sonnet 11-02-2005 11:06 PM

Yeah, I'm just going to stick with my acoustic thing I'm doing with two of my friends until I can find a drummer than wants to play post-hardcore/emo. On a side note, I'm taking back this stupid Apple mouse and going back to my Logitech, because it doesn't cause AIM to crash, and actually has two real buttons, not some dumb pressure sensor.

TojesDolan 11-02-2005 11:10 PM

mechanics beat technology.

sup 19th century.

A_Perfect_Sonnet 11-02-2005 11:16 PM

If it didn't cause AIM to crash, it would be sweet.

TojesDolan 11-02-2005 11:23 PM

I don't really understand how a mouse can kill AIM, but I'll just listen and think it's because the mouse was straight and AIM is homo.

By the way, S&Lers, I always wondered what your age was? A lot of people here right amazingly and are really young, other's write like crap and are very old. And the rest have no salvation.

18 years old, Highschool senior. :)

xKONRADx 11-03-2005 12:07 AM

20 on friday. College jr.

ATC 11-03-2005 12:30 AM

21 in May. University. Arts (creative writing).

I'm auditioning a new singer tomorrow. Ack, I'm tense. My old singer is way too busy in November to get anything done.

Spectrum 11-03-2005 12:37 AM

18 years old, college freshman.

I have huge chunks of being uninspired followed by random flashes of brilliance. I don't write when I'm not inspired.

Sloth 11-03-2005 01:08 AM

18 years old (19 THIS sunday the 6th!) college freshman..

All this talk about bands and **** is making me jealous!

Nightvision 11-03-2005 02:01 AM

21, full time Coastguard... :)

A_Perfect_Sonnet 11-03-2005 02:08 AM

18, college freshman (JMU), studio art major with a focus in sculpture/drawing. Awww snap, my acoustic stuff is sounding pretty sweet, can't wait for my vocalist to get a hold of these tracks.

Edit: I disabled the horizontal scroll on the mouse and AIM suddenly stopped crashing... I rule.

something vague 11-03-2005 05:44 AM

14, freshman in high school.

=\

Dancin' Man 11-03-2005 06:11 AM

17, senior high school

Sonnet - post music.

A_Perfect_Sonnet 11-03-2005 08:08 AM

Just a short midi sample. i haven't been able to meet with my lead guitarist, so lead is still up for debate. The one right now is just an idea.

[url]http://s45.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=05ALI7ZNNXLIF2C6DFLQ6C7280[/url]

Anyone know any free tablature software for Mac that has midi playback and export? This one limits me to 16 bars :(.

i am the robots 11-03-2005 08:08 AM

17 - senior high as well

theredwonder 11-03-2005 09:17 AM

19 - Second year university student studying modern languages.

Just incase anyone is interested i posted 3 songs in Audio Arena today.

[url]http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10273387#post10273387[/url]

SubtleDagger 11-03-2005 09:23 AM

19, GED, working a crap job and trying to record my album.

Nightvision 11-03-2005 09:54 AM

Ben - if it's out there, you'll probably find it at [url]http://www.bigbluelounge.com/[/url]

Nightvision 11-03-2005 10:36 AM

I'm looking for a new band... had two previous attempts that died on their arses for different reasons - I want the third to work, so it's taking time. Problem is, there are hardly any drummers in this part of the world... or bassists, come to think of it.

slack 11-03-2005 11:19 AM

Yeah, the last band I was in played a lot of metal and some classic rock covers, which was fun for a little while and then got boring. It all just started to sound the same. So me and the guitarist split. And until we can find a singer that doesn't sound like a bad Scott Stapp impersonator, we'll probably just focus on instrumental prog, or something.

ATC 11-03-2005 07:06 PM

The studio session went...well or not. It's still up in the air. My new vocalist sings folk rock and I had to come up with one in the studio instead of the creepy prog song I wanted to do. The good news is that the new song sounds good and she sings well and Elliott smith would be proud of me, but I feel weird writing in major keys and especially performing that kind of music looking like a gothic pirate.